Are You Getting a Good Night’s Sleep?
Well, spring has officially arrived. We even lost that lovely hour of sleep when the clocks went forward.
So how can you make the most of your precious sleep time?
The importance of sleep is often underestimated. Getting sufficient, and good quality sleep can help with weight management, hormone regulation, mood, reducing stress levels and inflammation, improving memory and much more.
So for better, and more beneficial sleep, try these top tips:
- Ensure your bedroom is dark. Cave dark. So turn off any standby buttons, dim or turn digital alarm clocks away from view, and use black out blinds and curtains.
- Prepare to sleep. Quiet your mind from the days hustle and bustle by turning off all electrical stimulus at least 30 minutes before you intend to go to sleep. TV, smartphones, iPads - blue screen technology disrupts our brains and will disrupt sleep patterns.
- Keep your bedroom cool. Keeping a temperature of around 18 to 20°c is advised. This will help to prevent you over heating and disturbing your rest.
- Try to create a regular sleep timetable. Go to bed at the same time and get up at the same time.
- Use simple breathing practices or meditations to help relax you into a sleep friendly state. A simple square breath can be helpful - breath in for an easy four count, pause for four, breathe out for four, pause for four. Don't struggle or force it. Keep it smooth.
EssentialsMAG fitness contributor is Helen Conway from Bodywork Pilates
Tel: 01978 512401